History

In 1959 the Conner family moved to Hatteras Island from Windsor, North Carolina.  John Sr., along with wife Bernice, daughter Merian and son John Jr. (Johnny) became the proprietors of the Pea Island Campground Store.  The familyís new business was on the Hatteras Island side of Oregon Inlet.  The Herbert C. Bonner Bridge had not yet been built and the North Carolina ferry service was still running boats across the inlet.  The Campground Store was beside the ferry docks and was leased as a concession from the National Park Service. 

 

There was no electricity available to this area and it was quite a culture shock for the entire family.  The primary source of business was catering to visitors and fishermen at the campground as well as the waiting ferry traffic. The ferry line could get very long in the summer and people got plenty thirsty and hungry.  Many people enjoyed Ms. Bernice's sandwiches while waiting for the next ferry to arrive.   

 

In October of 1960 the store burned to the ground.  The locals on Hatteras, especially those from the Rodanthe, Waves, and Salvo area were especially kind.  Mr. Conner worked for a short time for the Owens family of Rodanthe, before moving to Buxton to rent the Buxton Shopping Center from Mr. and Mrs. E. P. White.  This store location is now occupied by LocalMotionís Changing Tides Thrift Store.  In the early sixties, this building also housed Ormandís Clothing Store and the Post Office was next door. 

Connerís Supermarket

Connerís Supermarket

PO Box 71

47468 Highway 12

Buxton, NC 27920-0071

Phone:    (252) 995-5711

Fax:         (252) 995-5779

E-mail: conners5@embarqmail.com